Wednesday 14 September 2011

Why cant Vampires and Werewolves just get along?

My train home after my first day at work was a welcome relief. I got to rest my poor little legs, wearing high heeled boots that day was definitely not a good idea. I had walked the length and breadth of Tottenham Court Road and Oxford Steet in search of a Post Office, not an easy task I assure you. I had walked from Leicester Square tube station to Charring Cross trying to find somewhere that I could buy a months rail pass, only to find the chip and pin number I had been given was for the wrong card. On top of that, I had to get to grips with the in's and out's of my new job, meet my new colleagues and try to make a good first impression.
Boy, what a first day. 






So there I sat, perched awkwardly on my seat, as I rarely feel comfortable having to sit next to strangers on trains. I am never sure whether it is polite to strike up convestation or just to smile and bury my head in a book. After a busy day, I didnt feel like chatting so I took out my book and began to read. As I figgeted in my seat (tights and train seats never make for a comfortable combination) I apologised to the gentleman I was sat next to, who then took it as an opportunity to strike up a converstaion with me. After a chat about the books we were reading, with emphasis on the Harry Potter novels and a witty annecdote (from him) about an asian fellow he had seen wearing a t-shirt saying - Why cant Vampires and Werewolves just get along, we got down to introductions. As it turned out, his name was John Bird, the Founder and Chief Editor of the Big Issue magazine. Well, what a lovely man! As we departed from the train we said our goodbyes and he gave me his card, making me promise that I would attend his art exhibition Arses, Grasses and Trees, the following evening.



As it was only my third day in London, I felt I couldn't pass up John's invitation to meet new people in London and do a bit of networking. So I set off with my notoriously bad sense of direction to try and find Windmill Street. Naturally I got lost, but I arrived on time to a tiny studio packed full of people. Knowing no one, i bravely summoned up the courage to introduce myself to some people. Before I knew it I was chatting away to a doctor from Kensington and his wife, and several other people. One gentleman I met, also met John on a train! Pattern forming here? Perhaps!

To read more about John Bird's art work look here - http://www.theframersgallery.co.uk/john_bird.html

And the next time you have to sit next to someone on a packed train, why not strike up a conversation? You never know what interesting person you might be sat next to! 


No comments:

Post a Comment