Thursday 17 November 2011

The Roast-ess with the mostest?

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach, as the saying goes. But on my train journey on this foggy Monday morning, I over heard two women that took this to the extreme....




Sarah and Lauren were sat chatting in front of me about their weekends. Sarah got her hair done, Lauren went to the cinema. In all, standard weekend.

They both even cooked Sunday roasts for their loved ones. Awhh how sweet.....

Sarah: "So normally I do my roasties really nice and crispy. You know, par boil them, shake them up, bit of flour and stick 'em in a roasting time et voilĂ "

Lauren: "Mmmmm, just the way I like them"


Sarah: "Well yes, me too. But this week James saw a recipe for 'soft' roast potatoes and decided he would quite like to try them for a change...."


(I thought this was perfectly fair enough, who doesn't like to change things up a bit for some Sunday Roast excitement)

..."So of course I made them for him, and he wasn't sure if he really liked them. So, next week, I am going to make half of the roast potatoes crispy and half soft so he can compare them properly. That way I can cook him the perfect roast just the way he likes it." added Sarah.

Wow, that really is dedication to her man. It reminded me a little of Monica from Friends making 5 different types of mash for Thankgiving Dinner. If it was me I'd tell him to make his own bloody roast potatoes if he was going to be that picky.

Lauren mused, "Yeah, I had a similar situation with Ed. I'd brought a lovely Cheesecake for us to have for dessert, but last minute he decided he would rather have home-made Chocolate Fudge Cake and ice cream instead. So with 5 minutes till closing I was racing round Tesco's buying the ingredients" she chortled. "in the end he ate both"


I am not quite sure whether to be impressed by their devotion and enthusiasm, or if I should wonder why they don't have anything better to do with their time.


As a side note - here is my favourite recipe for roast potatoes just like @mumaclarkesays makes


Ingredients

  • A knob of  butter 
  • A drizzle of olive oil
  • 16 medium-sized Maris Piper or King Edward potatoes (each about 175g/6oz)
  • 150g of gluten free flour
  • 8 garlic cloves
  • sea salt
  • 8 sprigs thyme

Preparation method   

  1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
  2. Parboil the potatoes in water for 7-8 minutes until almost cooked (they will still feel firm when pierced with a knife). Drain thoroughly using a colander, then shake the potatoes and the flour around a little in the colander until the outsides are roughened.
  3. Put the butter and olive oil for the roast potatoes into a small roasting tin and heat in the oven for five minutes.
  4. Add the drained, roughened potatoes to the tin of hot butter, then sprinkle over the garlic cloves, thyme and sea salt and mix until the potatoes are well coated in the fat.
  5. Return the tin to the oven and roast for 45-60 minutes, or until golden and crunchy.
       
 
And when it comes to Chocolate Fudge Cake, you cant beat a bit of Betty Crocker


No comments:

Post a Comment